Grindrs Chinese ownership a national security risk US government reportedly says

first_img1:54 Share your voice 0 Following its sale to Kunlun last year, Grindr released a public statement preempting user distrust of the app’s new owners. “Nothing changes with how we will protect your personal information,” the company noted.”CNIUS’s action shows a commendable awareness of the fact that big data is not just a matter of privacy, but also a matter of antitrust,” Guido Noto La Diega, senior lecturer in cyber law at Northumbria University, said to CNET in an email. ” I agree that Grindr’s acquisition from a Chinese tech group exposes the LGBTQ dating app’s users to some privacy and security risks, in light of Chinese laws on security, cybersecurity, and audio-visual content.”This said, however, one could argue that the move to force Grindr’s sale is not necessarily motivated by actual security and privacy concerns, since Trump has been pushing to strengthen intelligence programs that allow surveillance of targets abroad.”The reported move follows the US’ systematic blockading of Huawei over similar national security firms. Huawei is known to most for its dazzling phones, but it’s also in the telecommunications business. The US fears that Huawei, if commissioned to build internet infrastructure in the US, could purposefully create security flaws which the Chinese government could at some point take advantage of.Originally published March 27.Update, March 28: Adds comment from Guido Noto La Diega.  Border security: Tech options that could replace a wall Leon Neal/Getty Images LGBTQ dating app Grindr was bought last year by a Chinese gaming company called Beijing Kunlun. The US government considers the deal a national security risk and is pressuring Kunlun to sell, according to a Reuters report.Kunlun fully acquired the California-based Grindr app in January of last year for an estimated $152 million after buying an initial $93 million stake in 2016, reported TechCrunch. However, neither of these transactions was cleared with the Committee on Foreign Investment (CFIUS), according to Reuters.CFIUS has told Kunlun that its ownership of Grindr equates to a US national security risk, the report adds. CFIUS did not immediately respond to CNET’s request for comment. Grindr declined to comment. The specific manner in which Kunlun’s ownership constitutes a national security threat wasn’t explained in the report. However, Grindr said last year it had 3.8 million daily users from “every country in the world,” presumably excluding countries it’s banned in, and 27 million users in total. Those users’ data could be seen as a honeypot for unsavoury actors.center_img Now playing: Watch this: Tags Post a comment Mobile Tech Industrylast_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

There will be no scarcity of medicine due to fire incident says

first_imgKolkata: Urging people not to get unnecessarily worried, state Parliamentary Affairs minister Partha Chatterjee has assured that there will be no chance of any shortage of supply of medicines due to the fire at Bagree Market.It may be mentioned that in the past few days, it had been circulating all over that the fire in Bagree Market would lead to a shortage in supply of medicines. The reason being, there were many wholesale shops in the market from where medicines used to get supplied to various parts of the state. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeAfter a meeting at Nabanna, Chatterjee said: “There is nothing to worry. I have discussed the matter with Chandrima Bhattacharya, the Minister of State for Health. She spoke to all the concerned authorities and concluded that there is no chance of shortfall in the supply of medicines due to the incident of fire. “Besides Bagree Market, there are many other channels of delivery for medicine. So there is nothing much to worry about,” Chatterjee said after urging people not to pay heed to any such rumours. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedPeople used to visit Bagree Market to buy medicines as it housed many wholesale medicine shops that used to sell the same at a comparatively cheaper rate than the local shops. It may be recalled that around 25 wholesale medicine shops were gutted in the fire that broke out on September 16 and has led to a huge loss. Subsequently, the Directorate of Drugs Control (DDC) in the state had issued a notification asking the manufacturers to take back the medicines stored in various shops at Bagree Market considering that the medicines have got damaged during the fire. Moreover, there was no power supply in the building since the fire broke out in the wee hours on Sunday and as a result, the medicines have got damaged as there was no refrigeration facility.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Fires force evacuation of 12000 in French Riviera

first_img BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, France — French authorities ordered the evacuation of up to 12,000 people around a picturesque hilltop town in the southern Cote d’Azur region as fires hopscotched around the Mediterranean coast for a third day Wednesday.A raging wildfire began late Tuesday in the dry Mediterranean forests around La Londe-Les-Maures before being pushed by the southern Mistral winds to Bormes, a tourist magnet with houses clustered on a hill surrounded by dense forests of scrub and trees.The local Var Matin newspaper reported that 12,000 people were forced to take refuge in gymnasiums and other places, including thousands of campers. It said some people sought safety on local beaches.Col. Eric Martin of the Var firefighting unit said Wednesday on BFM-TV that nearly 600 firefighters were trying to contain the flames that had run through 1,300 hectares (3,210 acres) around.Four tracker planes and a fire-fighting aircraft were sent in as thick black smoke billowed above the skyline.The airport in Toulon, a city 30 kilometres from La Londe, was briefly closed on Wednesday, as well the Fort de Bregancon, which sits on a rock off the coast of Bormes.The wildfires began raging along France’s Mediterranean coast on Monday, forcing smaller, scattered evacuations with flames reaching a corner of Saint-Tropez. Since noon Tuesday, French firefighters had conducted about 100 operations.More news:  Can you guess the top Instagrammed wedding locations in the world?Further east, reinforcements were sent in to battle a blaze in Artigues that burned up to 1,700 hectares (4,200 acres) of forest.Another fire was contained Tuesday evening in La Croix Valmer after burning two villas, seriously injuring one firefighter and devouring about 500 hectares (1,235 acres).France’s Mediterranean coast is particularly vulnerable to fires, with its massive back-country forests, often dry in the summer, and Mistral winds blowing across the sea to fan the flames. Smoke from the fires blew across bays on the picturesque coast, frightening some. But firefighters warned against panic _ and unnecessary phone calls. No injuries have been reported among residents and vacationers.Further south, flames ate through 2,000 hectares of forest on the northern end of the French Mediterranean island of Corsica, in what was the largest blaze in France.Summer fires, propelled by high temperatures, winds and drought – and often caused by careless humans – are not new to Europe. Both Portugal and Italy were also battling blazes.More news:  Help Princess Cruises break the world record for largest vow renewal at seaAlmost 1,700 firefighters supported by 17 water-dropping aircraft were tackling wildfires in Portugal, where every summer large areas of woodland are scorched. The Portuguese Civil Protection Agency says emergency services have brought more than 20 forest blazes under control as high winds calmed during the night.The worst fires were around the town of Macao, 200 kilometres northeast of Lisbon. Deputy mayor Antonio Louro said the fires have caused “catastrophic” damage to the livelihoods of farmers, many of who work in the region’s pine and eucalyptus forests.In Italy, where fires have raged for weeks, firefighters responded to 26 requests for water and fire retardant air crops on Tuesday, throughout central and southern Italy, including Calabria, Sicily, Sardinia, Lazio and Puglia.The Coldiretti agriculture lobby said 50 billion bees were destroyed along with their hives in fires on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. Coldiretti said another 20 per cent of the bee population is estimated to have become disoriented and died as a result. << Previous PostNext Post >> Tags: France, Travel Alert Share By: Claude ParisSource: The Associated Press Fires force evacuation of 12,000 in French Riviera Wednesday, July 26, 2017 last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment