Thousands sign petition appealing Maroon 5 to drop out of Super Bowl halftime show

first_imgLos Angeles, Nov 19 (PTI) Thousands of people have signed a petition urging Maroon 5 to pull out of performing at the Super Bowl halftime show in support of former NFL player Colin Kaepernick.More than 44,000 people have signed the petition on change.org appealing the group to cancel their plans to perform at the sporting event in Atlanta on February 3 next year.”Kaepernick risked his career to take a knee for equality, and the NFL punished him for it. Until the league changes their policy and support players’ constitutional right to protest, no artists should agree to work with the NFL,” the petition read.The 31-year-old former San Francisco 49ers quarterback was the first NFL player to kneel during the national anthem in a peaceful protest against police brutality and racial inequality in 2016.He has not played since that season and last year filed a grievance against the league and its owners, accusing them of colluding to keep him off the field.In October, Amy Schumer also urged the band to reconsider performing at the showafter Rihanna decided to skip performing at the Super Bowl because she “supports Colin Kaepernick”.Jay Z claimed on his song “Apest” that he had also turned down an offer to headline the show, and Pink, who sang the national anthem at the Super Bowl this year, also reportedly said no. PTI SHDSHDlast_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Dr. Tufton Urges Precaution Against Dengue

first_img He said that while there has been an “unusually high” number of reported cases of dengue in the island, this is not remarkable for this time of the year, reiterating that there is no outbreak of the virus. Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, is urging precaution against the dengue fever virus, including destroying mosquito breeding sites in and around the home. “Right now, there is a concern that we have an outbreak of dengue by those persons who do not have the data and who are understandably concerned, particularly if they know someone or have a relative or friend who is affected by signs or symptoms of dengue. We cannot classify the situation as an outbreak. We can say, however, that there are cases and we need to be vigilant,” he said. Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, is urging precaution against the dengue fever virus, including destroying mosquito breeding sites in and around the home.He said that while there has been an “unusually high” number of reported cases of dengue in the island, this is not remarkable for this time of the year, reiterating that there is no outbreak of the virus.“Right now, there is a concern that we have an outbreak of dengue by those persons who do not have the data and who are understandably concerned, particularly if they know someone or have a relative or friend who is affected by signs or symptoms of dengue. We cannot classify the situation as an outbreak. We can say, however, that there are cases and we need to be vigilant,” he said.Dr. Tufton was addressing the Pesticides Control Authority’s (PCA) annual awards ceremony at the Terra Nova All-Suite Hotel in St. Andrew on December 4.Dengue fever is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, and symptoms include sudden onset of high fever with severe headache, fatigue, pain behind the eyes, muscle, bone or joint pain, skin rash and vomiting or feeling nauseous.Rest and adequate hydration are recommended to combat the symptoms and acetaminophen/paracetamol for the treatment of fever. The Ministry is warning the public not to use aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, or any of the medications/pain relievers known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), as these have been known to increase the severity of the disease.Additionally, some persons may develop a rare complication of dengue fever referred to as dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF), which may result in bleeding, including internal bleeding.The Ministry recommends that immediate medical attention should be sought once a person with a fever begins to vomit, have severe abdominal pain, bleeding under the skin (petechial rash), feels very weak, or gets confused.To prevent against contracting dengue, persons are advised to eliminate mosquito breeding sites by discarding items that collect water (old drums, used tyres, plastic containers); installing mosquito netting over the bed; wearing long-sleeve shirts and pants outdoors; using DEET-containing mosquito repellent; and regularly changing water in animal and pet containers.The PCA awards ceremony recognised staff members and partners of the PCA for their service to the agriculture sector and ensuring healthy food.More than 11 PCA stakeholders were recognised across the following categories: Most Innovative Low Toxicity Pesticide Registered in 2018; Most Compliant Farm Stores; Highest Marks in Pest Control Examination 2018. Story Highlightslast_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Warren Buffett 15th Annual Power Lunch Charity Auction

first_imgGlide is pleased to announce the 15th Annual eBay Charity Auction for Power Lunch with Warren Buffett.Offered through eBay, bidding for this year’s charity auction runs June 1 at 7:30pm PDT through June 6 at 7:30pm PDT.Each year legendary investor and philanthropist Warren Buffett hosts just one charity power lunch to help support GLIDE’s programs. For the past 15 years, Buffett’s sustained commitment and the philanthropic spirit of the winning bidders have helped raise nearly $16 million to support GLIDE’s unwavering mission to help San Francisco’s residents in need.The bidding starts at $25,000 and all bidders must pre-qualify prior to placing their bids at ebay.com/glide. The winning bidder may invite seven friends to join Buffett for lunch at Smith & Wollensky, “the quintessential New York steakhouse.” Over the years, the winning bids have ranged from $25,000 to $3,456,789, with the funds going to support GLIDE’s programs, which help people overcome hunger, poverty, homelessness and debilitating health challenges.“We appreciate all of the bidders and Warren Buffett’s 15-year investment in our community,” said GLIDE’s Co-Founder and Minister of Liberation Reverend Cecil Williams. “Our true mission at GLIDE has always been to serve the poor first and foremost and Mr. Buffett’s generosity helps us do that in a powerfully human way.”“I saw people that the world had given up on, but that Cecil and Janice had not given up on and I saw the transformative power of unconditional love in what they were doing,” said Mr. Buffett when asked why he supports GLIDE. “It really hit me.”With unconditional support and love for all, GLIDE serves over 850,000 meals yearly; operates supportive housing; provides a health clinic; and offers dozens of service programs that invest in people’s ability to break the cycle of poverty.The eBay Giving Works program is part of a portfolio of programs, resources, and tools across eBay Inc. that are intended to enable and inspire online charity donations at a scale never seen before. For information and to pre-qualify, call 800-679-2681, email Buffett@Glide.org, or visit ebay.com/glide.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

More Saints Bounty Drama Player Admits To Lying About

Ex-Saint Anthony HargroveThe New Orleans Saints bounty program drama just will not end. It is a reality show gone bad (like most of them). In the latest episode, a report was released Tuesday that said one of the suspended players, Anthony Hargrove, now with Green Bay, said he was told to deny knowledge of such a system when interviewed by NFL investigators in 2010.Hargrove, according to the sworn statement acquired by the Associated Press, claimed the alleged order came from assistant coaches Joe Vitt and Gregg Williams. Williams has been suspended indefinitely for his role as the ring leader of the pay-for-injury program and Vitt is the interim head coach because Sean Payton was docked for the upcoming season as part of the NFL’s punishment. Meanwhile, Vitt will be benched for half half of the season.Mary Jo White, a former US Attorney hired by the NFL to review the investigation said that Hargrove’s statement “acknowledges the nature of the program and his participation in it, and, which is really the thrust of the declaration, that he was told to lie about it, and he did when he was asked about it in 2010 by the NFL investigators.”Vitt issued a vehement denial of Hargrove’s statement, saying, “At no time did I ever tell Anthony Hargrove to lie or deny the existence (of the alleged bounty program),” he told the The Times-Picayune newspaper. “He can say whatever he wants to say. It just didn’t happen.”Hargrove, now with the Green Bay Packers, was one of four members of the 2010 Saints suspended last in relation to the bounty investigation, and is slated to miss the first half of the regular season in 2012. In the NFL’s initial statement regarding the suspensions the league said “actively obstructed the league’s 2010 investigation into the program by being untruthful to investigators.”The statement has become a point of contention between the NFL Players Association and the NFL in the aftermath of the investigation, as the players begin their appeals process. The NFLPA maintains the position that while Hargrove states that he was told to lie, he has not admitted to lying to investigators. For the players, admitting to obstructing the NFL’s investigation would mean certain death for any chance at an appeal. read more



Tagged with
Comment

JetBoatersnet Bimini Fling doubles in size

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 3, 2017 – Bimini – This July more than 180 Americans and Canadians will bring 19 to 24 foot boats to Bimini to enjoy the natural beauty and abundant wildlife.South Bimini Island, June 12th, 2017: In less than a month a fleet of small vessels will depart Fort Lauderdale to spend five days in the beautiful water of Bimini, Bahamas. This group organized through JetBoaters.net has made an annual Bimini Fling since 2010. They began as a group of six boats that crossed with the official fling led by the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism. Since then it has become a tradition to bring dozens of boats each year.The group stretches far beyond the typical Floridian and East Coast visitors to Bimini. More than half of the group will tow their boats over 1,000 miles to cross to Bimini. Two of the boats will be towed over 3,000 miles from Oregon and Alberta, Canada.The group chooses Bimini specifically for the pristine natural beaches, beautiful water and abundant wildlife. Highlights of their trip will include swimming with dolphins, snorkeling and diving local reefs and ship wrecks, visits to the remote beaches and the sand bar found in East Wells as well as tours of the mangroves and healing hole.   The group is expected to bring more than $250,000 to the local economy during their visit.Furthermore, the group publishes extensive information both in writing and video documenting the process of traveling to Bimini and demonstrating the benefits of traveling to this paradise.In 2016 the group was privileged to participate in the Bimini Christmas Toy Drive which they plan to continue in the future. They enjoy the opportunity to bring joy to the Children of Bimini and appreciate seeing the pictures of this successful event operated by the Vander Werf Family Foundation.The group would like to stress the importance of preserving the reefs around Bimini and Bimini’s Mangroves that serve as a nursery for many species. Members of the group will collect trash during their visit to leave the area better than they found it.Press Release: DPA News Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Grindrs Chinese ownership a national security risk US government reportedly says

first_img1:54 Share your voice 0 Following its sale to Kunlun last year, Grindr released a public statement preempting user distrust of the app’s new owners. “Nothing changes with how we will protect your personal information,” the company noted.”CNIUS’s action shows a commendable awareness of the fact that big data is not just a matter of privacy, but also a matter of antitrust,” Guido Noto La Diega, senior lecturer in cyber law at Northumbria University, said to CNET in an email. ” I agree that Grindr’s acquisition from a Chinese tech group exposes the LGBTQ dating app’s users to some privacy and security risks, in light of Chinese laws on security, cybersecurity, and audio-visual content.”This said, however, one could argue that the move to force Grindr’s sale is not necessarily motivated by actual security and privacy concerns, since Trump has been pushing to strengthen intelligence programs that allow surveillance of targets abroad.”The reported move follows the US’ systematic blockading of Huawei over similar national security firms. Huawei is known to most for its dazzling phones, but it’s also in the telecommunications business. The US fears that Huawei, if commissioned to build internet infrastructure in the US, could purposefully create security flaws which the Chinese government could at some point take advantage of.Originally published March 27.Update, March 28: Adds comment from Guido Noto La Diega.  Border security: Tech options that could replace a wall Leon Neal/Getty Images LGBTQ dating app Grindr was bought last year by a Chinese gaming company called Beijing Kunlun. The US government considers the deal a national security risk and is pressuring Kunlun to sell, according to a Reuters report.Kunlun fully acquired the California-based Grindr app in January of last year for an estimated $152 million after buying an initial $93 million stake in 2016, reported TechCrunch. However, neither of these transactions was cleared with the Committee on Foreign Investment (CFIUS), according to Reuters.CFIUS has told Kunlun that its ownership of Grindr equates to a US national security risk, the report adds. CFIUS did not immediately respond to CNET’s request for comment. Grindr declined to comment. The specific manner in which Kunlun’s ownership constitutes a national security threat wasn’t explained in the report. However, Grindr said last year it had 3.8 million daily users from “every country in the world,” presumably excluding countries it’s banned in, and 27 million users in total. Those users’ data could be seen as a honeypot for unsavoury actors.center_img Now playing: Watch this: Tags Post a comment Mobile Tech Industrylast_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

India invites bids for small oil gas fields after 6 years

first_imgAfter a hiatus of six years, the Indian government has sought bids for 67 of its small oil and gas fields for commercial productions, reported the Mint. The companies participating will be offered a liberal and simple revenue sharing agreement as against the prevailing cumbersome profit sharing model.A bouquet of incentives such as freedom on pricing and marketing of oil and gas, waiving off a 20 percent cess on crude oil production and zero customs duty on capital goods imported for developing the fields are on the offer too.Reuters reported that most of these fields were returned back by its earlier owners, the state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Oil India Ltd (OIL), for its small size yet high cost of development. It is to bridge this concern that the new auction terms have been kept liberal.Sixty seven of these fields to be offered in 46 contracts hold in-place reserves of 85 million metric tonnes of oil and the fields are spread across nine sedimentary basins on land, and in shallow water and deep water areas.”These fields have been discovered by India’s national oil companies and are now being offered under exclusive policy which is designed to be investor-friendly and is based on easy-to-administer revenue sharing contract model, in tune with the policy of ‘ease of doing business’ in India,” the Mint reported, citing a government statement.In an effort to attract well-funded companies and individual investors outside the hydrocarbon business, the government has even done away with an earlier mandatory joint venture operation with domestic firms. These companies will also not operate under the obligation to drill specified number of wells. The bidders are also not required to have prior technical experience.Noting the opportunity to enter into India’s upstream market under relaxed terms, Anish De, partner and head of the oil and gas practice at KPMG, told the Mint: “This will provide operational autonomy and flexibility to contractors and incentivise investments in the oil and gas sector.”Successful auctioning of these small blocks will herald India’s new national hydrocarbon policy (HELP). The policy hinges on the hope that India can unlock energy resources worth $40 billion across its landscapes by offering price incentives as well as simplifying rules, said Reuters.The last date for submitting the bids is Oct. 31.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment