UNESCO launches “Truth Never Dies” campaign to tackle crimes against journalists

first_imgThe United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) launched its “Truth Never Dies” campaign on Friday as the world observed the fifth International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists.The campaign is aimed at fueling awareness on the issue of journalists killed on the job. “Truth Never Dies” encourages people to share stories by and about fallen journalists to keep their legacies alive and to push for investigations into their deaths to be continued, according to the UN.“The truth never dies. And neither must our commitment to the fundamental right to freedom of expression,” the UN Secretary General António Guterres said, while highlighting that when journalists are attacked “societies as a whole pay a price.”UNESCO, in a statement, outlined that in the last 12 years, over 1,000 journalists have been killed for reporting the news and bringing information to the public on trafficking, political wrong-doing and human right abuses. On average, this constitutes one death every four days. It explained that impunity leads to more killings and is often a symptom of worsening conflict and the breakdown of law and judicial systems adding that those responsible for these killings are almost never brought to justice.Meanwhile, the Association of Caribbean Mediaworkers (ACM) noted that the November 2 observances are important to media workers as it allows them to bring about awareness to free press issues, particularly attempts to silence the media through criminal means.“This is not unknown in the Caribbean and the ACM has cited instances in Haiti and Guyana in which attacks on media workers have gone unpunished. Every year, dozens of journalists are killed worldwide while in their pursuit to bring truth to the public. This year, so far, the Committee to Protect Journalists reports that 45 journalists have lost their lives – more than half were murdered, while others were killed on a dangerous assignment or in crossfire,” ACM said in a statement.The Association said that despite those incidents occurring in other parts of the world, the Caribbean media professionals must not become complacent urging them to against all threats to silence the media.“Crimes against journalists must not go unpunished and it is our responsibility to continue to highlight criminal acts committed against the media.Tolerance and understanding are key to the process of ending impunity for crimes committed against journalists.We therefore call upon politicians and other leaders to refrain from rhetoric that may incite violence against journalists,” the statement added.UNESCO says in the last 12 years 1,010 journalists were murdered with nine of those cases remaining unresolved.The “Truth Never Dies” campaign comes after journalist Jamal Ahmad Khashoggi was murdered on October 2, 2018 in the Saudi Arabia Consul in Turkey. Khashoggi, born on October 13, 1958, was a Saudi Arabian journalist and author, and a former General Manager and Editor-in-Chief of the Al-Arab News Channel. He also served as editor for the Saudi Arabian newspaper Al Watan, turning it into a platform for Saudi Arabian progressivesKhashoggi’s killing continues to draw global outrage as several organizations and governments around the world are calling for a transparent investigation.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

DeGale wants Groves clash at the Emirates

first_imgJames DeGale aims to take another step towards a world title – and a possible rematch with George Groves – when he faces the unbeaten Gevorg Khatchikian this weekend.Harlesden’s Olympic gold medallist takes on Khatchikian ahead of a final eliminator for a shot at world super-middleweight title currently held by World Boxing Council champion Sakio Bika.Before that eliminator against Badou Jack, scheduled for later this year, DeGale, 28, is looking to impress against the 25-year-old Khatchikian at Bristol’s City Academy on Saturday.DeGale was bang on the 12-stone limit at Friday’s weigh-in, while his opponent came in significantly lighter, at just over 11st 9lb.DeGale and Groves could meet againBeaten on points by the narrowest of margins by arch-rival and fellow West Londoner Groves in May 2011, DeGale has since been desperate to secure a rematch.The pair have been at odds since both were being schooled at the Dale Youth Boxing Club in Notting Hill – Groves also beat him on points when they were amateurs.Winning the WBC crown could mean they meet again as world champions, given that Groves is set for another attempt to topple Nottingham’s IBF and WBA champion Carl Froch in May.And Arsenal fan DeGale would like a showdown with Groves to take place at the Gunners’ Emirates Stadium.He said: “Me versus Groves at Wembley would be massive, but I want that fight to happen at the Emirates.“I’ve known Groves since I was 13 or 14 and I can’t stand him. He is a nasty boy who thinks he’s someone he isn’t.“By the end of the year I want to be world champion. I’d be the first [British] Olympic gold-medal winner to achieve it. Everything’s going to plan and I will do it.”A shock victory would propel Khatchikian into title contention but DeGale is confident he will win in impressive style.“Saturday is potentially a banana skin for me but he hasn’t boxed outside of the Netherlands and the quality of his opposition hasn’t been the best,” he said.“When he gets in with me he is going to know about quality. He’s in trouble.”West London Sport will have live updates from DeGale v Khatchikian from around 9pm on Saturday. See also:Froch-Groves rematch will be at WembleyDeGale eyes world title after joining HearnFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Walk unravels Bharatpur’s splendour

first_imgA unique heritage conservation drive launched in Rajasthan’s Bharatpur district has unravelled the unsung ingenuity, valour and splendour of the region and created awareness about its rich cultural inheritance reflected in its monuments. The drive has brought to light a new aspect of Bharatpur, which was earlier known only for the world-famous Keoladeo bird sanctuary.The Bharatpur Virasat Abhiyan has received support from activists, academicians, traders, tourist guides, hotel owners, merchant chambers, transporters, school children and government officials.Lohagarh fortAs part of the campaign, the heritage walks being organised every week have started exploring the historic Lohagarh Fort at the heart of Bharatpur town along with the artistic grandeur of as many as 353 heritage properties.The Centre for Advancement of Traditional Building Technology and Skills, which is the force behind the initiative, has set the focus on the region’s “built heritage” which needs to be popularised among both the residents and visitors. “We are creating awareness through heritage walks, mapping, documentaries, exhibitions and publications,” CATTS founding chairman and former Chief Secretary Arun Kumar said on Thursday.The heritage walks have been organised in collaboration with Lupin Foundation and with the support of district administration. In addition to the Lohagarh Fort, the walk explores artistic grandeur of the landmarks such as Chauburja, Ganga Mandir, Jama Masjid and Sarafa Bazaar.“The walk is unique in bringing a rustic fort experience coupled with exploring the historic bazaar along with live demonstration of handcrafted woodwork, jewellery, flower decor and metalware, and stimulating tastes and smells of an era slipping past,” CATTS secretary Urvashi Srivastava said.‘Lack of publicity’Lupin Foundation’s Executive Director Sita Ram Gupta said since the tourists visiting the region did not know about historical monuments because of lack of publicity, the heritage walks would connect the people with the history and help promote the palaces and old temples as tourist spots.The CATTS has also started an exercise for mapping of cultural heritage in several towns of Bharatpur district, which have a repository of ancient Rajput and medieval Mughal and Jat architecture.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Australian Masters Games

first_imgAustralia’s largest multi-sport festival is coming to Geelong in 2009. The Games will be held from 20 February to 1 March 2009 and will attract 10,000 participants from across Australia and overseas. The Games are open to anyone over the age of 30, for most sports. The Confederation of Australian Sport (CAS) owns and runs the Games since their inception in 1987. The Games are held biennially in different cities across Australia. It is the first time Geelong will host the games and is expected to be the biggest event to be held in regional Victoria. The Games will offer over 60 sports and ten days of entertainment.Further details can be viewed from www.AustralianMastersGames.comThanks to Brad Stewart for providing the article content.last_img



Tagged with
Comment

Here’s An Adorable Photo Of Sam Ponder’s Daughter Teaching Lee Corso How To Use An IPad

first_imgLee Corso seen with Sam Ponder's daughter.scout ponder teaches lee corsoWith college football just around the corner, it looks like ESPN’s College GameDay cast and crew are starting to meet up to get ready for the 2016 campaign. Sam Ponder, one of the show’s co-hosts, posted an absolutely adorable photo from the group’s meet-up today.Yep, that’s analyst Lee Corso with Scout Ponder – Sam’s two-year-old daughter. Scout is teaching the 80-year-old Corso how to use an iPad. Enjoy:last_img



Tagged with
Comment

Despite losing two stars Ohio State wrestling maintains high expectations

OSU then-redshirt freshman Nathan Tomasello during a match against Minnesota on Feb. 6 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Lantern File PhotoFor the first time in four seasons, as the Ohio State wrestling team prepares to defend its title — the first national championship in program history — it will proceed without Logan Stieber.Life without the most decorated wrestler in OSU history has begun.Masterfully, Stieber was a force. Ending his career 119-3, winning his last 50 matches, he — along with coach Tom Ryan — took the wrestling program to unprecedented heights.The Buckeyes are now discovering why repeating as national champions in college athletics is so hard. OSU not only has to make up for the absence of Stieber’s scoring, but Kyle Snyder’s as well, as the second-year Buckeye plans to redshirt the upcoming season to train for the 2016 Summer Olympics.“It will be weird,” Snyder said. “It will be hard for me to come to practice and watch, and not be able to compete because I’m going to want to practice so bad. (There) will definitely be a bitter taste in my mouth.” Like Stieber, Snyder — the first collegiate wrestler to win the U.S. Open and make the World Team as a freshman — was dominant. With Snyder in the lineup, the Buckeyes were favored to repeat as national champions. Now sans Snyder, the Buckeyes are projected as a bubble team.“Obviously, preseason rankings, you go from No. 1 to No. 5 when you don’t have a Kyle Snyder in the lineup,” Ryan said. “It’s hard to make up the 25 points that you consider him getting in the national tournament, but we’ve got people who can.”Redshirt sophomores Nathan Tomasello and Bo Jordan can make up the points, and should. Tomasello is coming off a 33-4 season in which he captured the Big Ten and NCAA championship at 125 pounds.  For Jordan, he is pegged as InterMat’s top-ranked wrestler at 174 pounds and comes off a 2014 season in which he went 11-0 in dual meets and 9-0 against the Big Ten.The incoming freshman class should assist the team, as well. “We’ve got some really good freshmen coming in,” Jordan said. “A lot of guys that think right and train really hard and have the right mindset.”Freshman Kollin Moore, along with Myles Martin, have made early impressions. Former high school standouts, Moore went 51-0 in his senior year at Norwayne High School in Creston, Ohio, and Martin — a New Jersey native and FloWrestling’s No. 3 recruit — is expected to contribute early at 174 pounds behind Jordan.Satisfied with the young guys at the back end of the lineup, Ryan — who has coached four different student-athletes to eight national championships — refuses to settle. In fact, he’s raising expectations for the young Buckeyes. “Winning it one year is fantastic, but we’re here to stay,” Ryan said. “We want prolonged, sustained success, and I’m really confident that 10 years from now, people in the wrestling world and community will say, ‘Ohio State is a place where wrestling is alive and well.’”Repeating is OSU’s goal, but Ryan admits the loss of Snyder is a hurdle. Nevertheless, he thinks the team can vault it. “The goal is to win another championship. That hasn’t changed,” Ryan said. “It’s definitely more challenging without (Snyder), but what a story it will be, should it happen come March.”Confident and convinced, the Buckeyes — despite being without two All-Americans — are ready to defend their title.“We’re not going to have Logan and Snyder, but we’re still going to be good, and I know we can win a national title if everything happens right,” Jordan said.As Stieber and Snyder continue to train in Columbus for their personal careers, their presence will still be felt. On the mat, however, life without both has just begun. read more



Tagged with
Comment

Arsenal plan to keep Gazidis

first_imgArsenal Football Club are planning to convince Ivan Gazidis to turn down a move to AC Milan, according to Metro.Gazidis has been tasked with rebuilding the club in the aftermath of Arsene Wenger’s departure. Majority shareholder Stan Kroenke controls most of the affairs and decisions made by the club and he was charged Gazidis with the responsibility of restructuring of the club.Gazidis has implemented nine new department chiefs including Sven Mislintat who is the head of recruitment and Raul Sanllehi who is the head of operations.Senior members of the club’s board are trying to convince Gazidis to stay amidst speculation he’s close to joining AC Milan as their new club chief.Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.Elliot Management group who recently became the owners of Milan are keen to bring Gazidis to Italy as they plan to take the club back into prominence both locally and in Europe.Stan Kroenke’s son, Josh Kroenke has taken more interest in the running of the club’s affairs by working in London but Gazidis still remains a huge figure in the club despite criticism from supporters.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

You are the owner you are welcome – Rafael Benitez tells

first_imgConcerning Mike Ashley’s unhappiness that he has not been invited to Newcastle’s training, Rafael Benitez has insisted that the owner of the club is welcome at the training at any time.Newcastle lost out of the Carabao Cup this week after losing against Nottingham Forest.Sky Sports claims that Benitez, who has not been in direct contact with his employer, has said: “It is not an issue [for me]. Mike Ashley is the owner and he is welcome here when he wants to come, that’s it.”About whether he is rather going to offer an invitation to Ashley, Benitez said: “Are you married? Yes. You have a house? Yes. So do you have to be invited into your own house?Steve Bruce: “Hopefully that’ll shut a few people up for a little bit” Stuart Heath – August 25, 2019 Newcastle boss Steve Bruce has expressed his delight at his side’s shock 1-0 away victory to Tottenham HotspursTyne-side boss Steve Bruce praised his staff…“You are the owner, so you can do what you want. You are the owner, you are welcome.”Benitez and Ashley seem to be in disagreement concerning some issue in the club. Ashley has not approved any strong spending in the summer and Benitez has been reluctant in signing a new contract without knowing plans that the club has.However, asked about his future with Newcastle, Benitez had said: “It is too early. We have plenty of time to discuss things, Don’t worry.”last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Two Motorcyclists Cited For Driving Over 90 mph On Seward Highway

first_imgAdams was issued a misdemeanor citation to later appear in court for failure to stop at the direction of a police officer 1st degree and released on scene. The other motorcyclists was not located. The first incident occurred around 1:50 p.m., when the Alaska State Troopers Bureau of Highway Patrol stopped a motorcycle, driven by Aenoi Phetsalat, age 32 of Anchorage. Phetsalat was speeding 90+ mph near mile 63 of the Seward Highway. No injuries connected to the incidents were reported, according to Troopers. The second incident occurred just a few hours later at 5:07 p.m., near mile 65, AST Bureau of Highway Patrol attempted to stop two motorcycles for speeding 90+ mph. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska State Troopers cited two motorcyclists accused of driving over 90 mph on the Seward Highway, on Saturday afternoon.center_img One of the motorcycles, driven by Matthew Ryley Adams, age 21 of JBER, was located five minutes later near mile 2 of the Hope Highway and was stopped. According to Troopers, the motorcycles accelerated their speeds over 130+ mph, and began passing motorists in no passing zones and driving recklessly so the pursuit was discontinued. Phetsalat’s driver’s license was revoked for DUI. Phetsalat was issued a misdemeanor citation to later appear in court for driving with a revoked driver’s license and released on scene.last_img read more



Tagged with
Comment

Northern Command Raises Security Level at US Installations

first_imgU.S. Northern Command has elevated the force protection level for all DOD facilities in the continental United States, due to a general environment of heightened threats rather than to a specific threat, a Pentagon spokesman said Friday.Northcom raised the force protection level at DOD facilities from Alpha to Bravo, indicating an increased or more predictable threat of terrorist activity, said Army Col. Steve Warren.For installations, the elevated force protection level means more comprehensive checking of those entering facilities, heightened awareness of personnel at the facilities, and in some circumstances, more security personnel on duty at the facilities, reported DOD News.“As far as what the American public can expect to see,” Warren said, “broadly speaking there won’t be a change, but in specific areas there could be longer lines as personnel enter posts, camps and stations around the nation, [and this] could have traffic implications.”At Northcom in Colorado Springs, spokesman Air Force Master Sgt. Chuck Marsh said that raising the security baseline “was a prudent measure to remind installation commanders at all levels within our area of responsibility to ensure increased vigilance in safeguarding our DOD personnel, installations and facilities.”“This is the new normal,” Marsh said, “so we’re going to be doing random security [protection] measures … to be able to best execute the safety and security of our people and our facilities.”Raising the force protection condition to Bravo will apply to the Pentagon as well, Warren said. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more



Tagged with
Comment